Geographic Information Systems
Geographic Information System Degrees from Oklahoma City Community College
This high-demand technological career field will help you map out a bright future.
Geographic information system (GIS) technicians are in high demand. And, you could be, too, with an associate degree from Oklahoma City Community College.
Essentially, GIS is a computer system designed to capture, store and manipulate geographically referenced information. It allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns and trends in the form of maps, reports, and charts.
Banks, media outlets, municipalities, government agencies, oil and gas companies, scientist, researchers and engineering firms use GIS. And, these entities all rely on skilled technicians to keep up with the constant changes in technology.
You could be mapping the world, with an associate degree in applied science in geographic information systems or a certificate of mastery in GIS from OCCC.
Apply online today!
In OCCC’s Geographic Information System Degree Programs, You Will:
- Learn to work with spatial data, both vector and raster
- Acquire, convert and create spatial data for use in standard GIS software
- Learn to create and present maps, both digitally and on hardcopy
- Learn to perform attribute and spatial queries, as well as basic spatial analysis (geoprocessing and map algebra)
- Perform routine database management tasks for spatial data
- Learn to use popular GIS software, such as Esri’s ArcGIS software
- Learn to collect data using Trimble Handheld GPS units
- Explore other options in Game Design, Digital Media Design, Computer Animation and Computer-Aided Design
Geographic Information System Degrees at Oklahoma City Community College
Oklahoma City Community College offers an associate in applied science degree in Geographic Information System (GIS) and a certificate of mastery:
- Associate in Applied Science degree – Geographic Information Systems: This degree is designed to place the graduate in an entry level position in this career field.
- Another option is the certificate of mastery in Geographic Information Systems. This is the fast-track program for students who want just the core courses or professionals who would like to enhance their skills.
Geographic Information System Classes at Oklahoma City Community College
Oklahoma City Community College offers Geographic Information System classes taught by faculty who actively research the newest trends in the industry. Here are some of the courses you might be interested in:
- Computer-Aided Design
- Introduction to GIS
- Introduction to GPS
- Introduction to Spatial Analysis
- Beginning Programming
- Database Management
- Plane Surveying
- Design Project
Professor of Computer-Aided Technology
Master in Education - Central State UniversityB.S. in Math - Wayne State UniversityAAS Drafting and Design - Henry Ford Community CollegeAAS Multimedia - Oklahoma City Community College37 Years Professor - Oklahoma City Community College10 Years Designer and Engineer - Ford Motor Company - Engine Division5 years Test Technician - U.S. Army Tank Arsenal, Warren Michigan
Department Chair and Professor of Computer-Aided Technology
I start teaching at Oklahoma City Community College in 1990. I was hired as a part-time Instructor to teach AutoCAD to business and industry clients. In January 1991 I was hired full-time as a Professor of Drafting and Design.I started using AutoCAD as a student at East Central University in 1986, using AutoCAD version 2.18 on an IBM AT computer. All you needed were two floppy disks, one with MS-DOS and another with AutoCAD. Prior to starting at OCCC, I taught Technology Education at Killeen High School, in Killeen, Texas. Over the years I have taught AutoCAD at East Central University in Ada, University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond and University of Oklahoma in Norman.
Careers in Geographic Information System
With a degree in geographic information system from OCCC, you can become a GIS technician and work for banks, media outlets, municipalities, government agencies, oil and gas companies, scientist, researchers and engineering firms.
Don’t get left behind. Get a Geographic Information System degree at OCCC and take on the world. Your career choices will be virtually limitless.
Complete your online community college admissions application today.